© 2010 Company Name. All rights reserved.
Sioux Lookout, Ontario
The name Sioux Lookout is a reflection of its strategic location. Standing at the top of "Sioux Mountain" and utilizing the view down the English water system, approaching danger could be sighted from a great distance. Sioux Lookout has been recognized as a town since 1912 when the Nicholas Chemical Company mined iron pyrite in the area. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2012, Sioux lookout has over 5,500 residents from various ethnicities and reaches out to more than 31 remote First Nation communities. It is a jumping off point for many fishermen that want to explore its pristine lakes via a floatplane.
The Dryden area was part of the Ojibwa nation, which covered a large area from Lake Huron to Lake of the Woods and beyond. The Ojibwa were a nomadic culture, with groups from family to village size moving over the land with the seasons and the availability of game or the necessities of life. The town of Dryden incorporated in 1910. It expanded its boundaries several times before amalgamating with the neighbouring township of Barclay, to form the new city of Dryden on January 1, 1998. Its current population is around 8,100 residents.
The First Nations people have inhabited the area for centuries. There are numerous tribes of Ojibwa, Oji-Cree, and Cree. The Ojibwa were a nomadic culture, with groups from family to village size moving over the land with the seasons and the availability of game or the necessities of life. It is believed that the Bending Lake/Turtle River area was a meeting place for trade and cultural exchanges of aboriginal people.
The steady increase in traffic on the Trans-Canada Highway along with Dryden's position midway between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay has resulted in a very large commercial sector serving local citizens and visitors. Tourism is now a large and stable industry, adding dimension to Dryden's quality of life.
Today, the area has over 32,000 people stretching over countless miles of forest and lakes. Many of these people are unreached and unchurched. Camp of the Woods is located between these two diverse communities.
Camp of The Woods was established to reach the people of the area with the "Good News" of the Gospel.
more to come...
© 2013 Camp Of The Woods Ministries, Inc. Dinorwic, Ontario. All rights reserved.